Thursday, March 10, 2011

Not JUST Another Year

This week, Director Mike Leigh (Happy-Go-Lucky, Vera Drake, Topsy-Turvy) brings us the incisive Another Year. Leigh delicately crafts a witty, yet tragic, and fascinating portrait of ordinary people. The people feel real and recognizable as British middle class. The main couple, Gerri and Tom, played beautifully by Jim Broadbent and Ruth Sheen, is masterful. Their relationships with flighty Mary, ill-mannered Ken, and bereaved Ronnie demonstrate the couple’s good hearted natures. Their marriage is the envy of most of their friends and they are quietly grateful.
Time passes with the seasons during the film, shot in tandem to Tom and Gerri working in their vegetable garden. But things get awkward when Mary flirts and prods Joe, Tom and Gerri’s 30-year old son, for a date and is visibly upset when he brings home a girlfriend that the family adores. This interrupts the otherwise placid life of happily married couple. Love and loneliness are depicted equally in this revealing film of human truths. The cozy contentment of Tom and Gerri’s long lasting marriage is precisely contrasted to the troubled group.  Similar to Sophia Coppola’s Somewhere, this film may move slow but tells a rich story of humanity.

There is no screening for March 16 because of March Break.

BUFS returns on March 23 with the Canadian film Small Town Murder Songs. the film follows a violent crime that shakes up life in a small Mennonite town in Ontario, especially for a cop with a past. The film stars Peter Stormare, Martha Plimpton and Jill Hennessy.
March 30 will be Barney's Version, starring Paul Giamatti based on the novel by Canadian author, Mordecai Richler.
Followed by the recent adaptation of Jane Eyre by Cary Fukunaga on April 6.

8 comments:

  1. I have never been to one of these screenings, but it sounds like a lot of cool movies are shown. I have been looking forward to seeing Barney's Version...this might be the time to go!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It looks like a very interesting movie. I like to go to the cinema and for sure i will read your post before i decide to watch a movie.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am always looking for movie recommendations. I don't always want the blockbusters, so I am going to take note and my next few rentals will be this one and probably Blue Valentine. Great blog Justine, Thank You!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is a quick and easy way to get movie ideas. I feel bad that I did attend Brock and I never once made it to a screening. I think I will add it to my list of things to do

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree with Anna. I feel awful that I went to Brock for 4 years but never attended a screening. I'll have to check out some of the titles you've mentioned in your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I had no idea Brock did this... thanks for posting! This is something to remember when looking for something new to do!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Justine, your blog has opened my eyes to an all new side of Brock. Like other have posted above, I had no idea these movies were even shown. I definetly want to go check one out before we finish this school year!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I also had no idea that Brock did this. I would love to attend a screening sometime.
    I'm also planning on watching several of the movies that you've talking about. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete